Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Crushing food

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Crushing food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have been feeding hogs for years now and the food bowl is always empty by morning but recently there is still quite a bit of food left in the dish but has been crushed into crumbs . I have always used the same dried hedgehog food so can’t understand why this is happening now, although a few weeks ago I couldn’t get the food so used kitten biscuits, are they telling me they prefer the kitten food after all this time, I wonder.

Hi Granny 7,

There’s usually a residue of crumbs in my food bowls as well. I think it’s just where they eat the bigger pieces and the smaller bits get left behind.

As for the kitten food, I’d leave both out and see which goes first. Kitten food is much higher calorie and that is really good for putting on weight for winter.

It may also be that there are different hogs around, or the ones that finished it all off before have gone into hibernation.

Hi Kitty 878
    Thanks for your thoughts, I’m just baffled as to why they are just crushing it and leaving it, I’ve never experienced this in all the years I have been feeding hogs. As you suggest, it might be different hogs or maybe they are getting their fill elsewhere. I might try mixing it with a bit of kitten food, maybe that’s what they are looking for. Watch this space.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog