Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Cutting Wildflower Meadow without harming hedgehogs

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Cutting Wildflower Meadow without harming hedgehogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We have a large wildflower meadow and it is time to get a farmer in to give it a summer cut. We regularly see Hedgehogs in the meadow and I am worried they may be in the field during the day and at risk of being hurt.

Am I right to be concerned and, if so, what can I do? I considered going out the evening before and finding as may as possible and boxing them up for a day but wonder whether they could be lactating females with young to feed and am not sure if the young could cope for a day without Mum.

Any advice?

Nic

Hi kevhog49

Yes, you are right to be concerned. Checking the area in advance sounds a good idea, but the evening before sounds too early – hogs could easily move back into the area during the night. So I would suggest checking as soon before the mowing event as you can make it. That way, also, they would not need to be in boxes for too long – as you suggest a whole day might be too long for a lactating mother hog.

There is some information from BHPS
    https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Hedgehog-Street-HEMP-guide.pdf Page 13 re. machinery.
    I am fairly sure there is more information and if I find anything else will add it to another post.

I think the “ high-cut, low-cut method allows nest checks in-between, and increasing the blade height of mowers will minimise risks. Ensure all machine users are trained to be hedgehog aware.” Refers to cutting the whole area at a height of about a foot which makes it easier to see any hogs whilst at the same time, hopefully, the blades just missing them – then checking before the final cut (and putting any hogs in boxes until the mowing is finished and then releasing them nearby), but I suppose it depends how practical that is in a larger area.

Checking before as well would be good.

You could give BHPS a ring to see if they have any more ideas.

Good luck.

Nic

This information really relates to gardens, but the wild patch/strimmer section is relevant re. the low cut high cut method.

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/gardening-with-hedgehogs/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog