Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Daytime hog – nesting?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Daytime hog – nesting?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

The last few mornings we’ve had one of our hedgehogs coming to the feeding station at breakfast time. I was a bit concerned that it may have eaten poison but it seems healthy enough and trundles around the garden at their usual busy speed, snuffling into bushes and plants. Prickles are shiny and healthy, nose twitchy, eyes bright and its very alert – although very short sighted! I followed it this morning and it vanished under the wood pile so could it be a female nesting? Is it too early for her to be nursing little ones? The weather has been so very cold and dry here in the east but I wonder if that hot spell meant they bred early. She’s just come to our little pond for a long drink but as I’m feeding dry food that would be expected.

Nic

Hi Cecil

It is stilll quite early for young hogs to be born, but not impossible.

If you are ever worried that there might be a problem with a hog, then the best thing to do would be to contact your local hog carer, explain the situation and take their advice. You can find contact details of your nearest ones from BHPS on 01584 890801.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog