Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Daytime Hog?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Daytime Hog?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi 🙂 Newbie here 🙂 I read somewhere that hogs are either primarily or exclusively nocturnal. At around noon today, I noticed one snuffling around in the uncut wet lawn (field) of my front garden. (Photos posted to gallery). It seemed quite active turning over leaves looking presumably for insects and grubs. And stayed for 10 minutes before scuttling off across my drive to a hedge beyond which is open countryside. Is this ‘normal’ behaviour or is there a problem? TIA.

Nic

Hi JayTee812

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, hogs are nocturnal and it isn’t normal for them to be out during the day. I would find your nearest hog carer/rehabilitator – you can get the details by ringing the BHPS on 01584 890801. You can explain exactly what the circumstances are to the carer. They may advise that you get the hog checked over.

It may be that it is very hungry or dehydrated. It’s a good idea to leave a water source out for the hogs all day every day, including the winter. I use shallow but wide plant saucers. They would also welcome some supplementary feeding with cat/dog/hog food (if you aren’t feeding them already).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Nic. As I live surrounded by countryside, the hog may just have been passing through, but I’ll take heed of your advice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog