Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

daytime visitor

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings daytime visitor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

for the past couple of weeks I’ve had a hog in the garden from mid morning onwards, quite regularly, sometimes twice a day, always coming in under gate on one side of garden.

Definitely on the small side but looks well, gets around ok and actively feeds on dried worms, (left out for the birds) , or hog food (kitten food) whatever is around.

Aware dried worms are bad for hogs so I now put the worms in flower pots, and put out a small handful of hog food (kitten food) in the mornings.

Also get regular night time visits, sometimes more than one and sometimes making huffing noises.

This looks too early for a hog taking a break from nursing goblets, so should I be worried?

Nic

Hi gbhog

I’m guessing from what you say that you normally offer the hogs some food at night? So the hog would have had access to food at a normal time. Hopefully you are also providing access to water all day every day – that is very important. Hogs may be able to forage for food, but may not be able to access water. A dehydrated hog may also come out during the day.

If I were you, I would contact your local hog carer and you will be able to explain more fully to them. The problem is that hogs don’t appear to be unwell until they are really unwell. But there is also the possibility that a nursing mother might pop out briefly during the day. But your local carer will be able to advise as to the best course of action. You can get contact details of your local carers from the BHPS on 01584 890801.

I am, though, a bit concerned about the mealworms. Try to make certain that the hog cannot access them. Some hogs become addicted to them and so could be seeking them out.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog