Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Dead hedgehog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Dead hedgehog

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

This morning I found a dead hedgehog in my back garden. It had been decapitated with bits of flesh, skull and snout laying around. The main body appeared intact. It was a fairly small hedgehog about a third of the size of the larger males. I don’t have a dog and my 2 cats seem to try and avoid the hedgehogs. Any ideas? Could another hedgehog have done this? Fox?

Nic

Hi HRH Princess Spikey

That must have been very distressing for you discovering that.

Sadly, it’s impossible to say what might have done that, although I suspect not another hog. If you have foxes around, one of them could be the culprit, but that is a complete guess with only a small element of process of elimination – youngsters sometimes play with hogs, but are more likely to injure, ie. back legs. It seems odd if it was an adult fox (which sometimes do kill and eat hogs) that it didn’t eat part of the main body – unless it was disturbed.

So, sorry, I can’t be much help, but I hope there aren’t any other similar instances. Not a nice thing to find.

Hi

I’m new to this forum and have a question please. We have several regular visitors to our garden and have been feeding them for several years without any issues. Recently I found two dead hogs within the space of a week and apart from some damage caused by Magpies (post-mortem I think) there was no obvious cause. I’m worried that they might have picked up some bug from the area below our nearby bird feeding station (they were close to it) although it’s never happened before. Is there a safe disinfectant we can use to wash and clean the area?

Could the decapitated hog have been the victim of a badger?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog