Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

DIY hedgehog house help

Home Forums Champions’ chat DIY hedgehog house help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have a hedgehog living in the flowerbed in my courtyard, I’m getting confused with all the options for hedgehog houses (and don’t have time to make my own), on the hedgehog street leaflet download it says a simple DIY house can be made from an upside down plastic box, but then goes on to say it needs holes – so, does it mean a plastic crate type thing rather than a plastic storage box? I have some unused underground drainage pipe I could use to create a tunnel entrance but I’m hoping for some clarification on the type of box please
    Also, I’m happy to feed it but we have had a problem with rats and I really don’t want to encourage them, is there a type of rat proof way to feed them? 😊👍🏼Thankyou!

Nic

Hi Peeb

Some people use storage boxes (of varying sizes – ones with less depth may be better at discouraging cats), but you would need to make an entrance hole in the box and tape the edges so they weren’t rough for the hogs. You could potentially attach the drainage pipe to create a tunnel, although that would be more difficult.

Re. rats, you pretty much can’t stop of them accessing any type of hog feeding box. If you could stop the rats, the hogs wouldn’t be able to get in. But here is a recent series of posts re. rats – you might find something helpful there.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/hogs-v-rats/

Good luck

Nic

p.s. There is an image of a storage box with a pipe entrance in here: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/feed-hedgehogs/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog