Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Do hedgehogs hibernate in garages

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Do hedgehogs hibernate in garages

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’ve been feeding a few hedgehogs for a few months. The most recent attendee is a hoglett who is eating me out of house and home. The past few nights I’ve seen it going under the garage door. Would a hedgehog hibernate in a garage or do they stick to more natural locations?

Yes.

They will hibernate anywhere that suits them: warm, dry, safe and quiet where they find or can take suitable nesting material. In their minds everywhere and everything is “natural”!

Just goes to show they are quite happy to live amongst us humans, in certain circumstances. If you don’t mind the hedgehog in your garage would leave it be. May be a bit hard but try not to disturb it to much, as they have a habit of voting with their feet.

Willpar.

They have a habit of stowing away in bags of compost and under BBQ’s, so it could be hiding anywhere! And yes Willpar’s right, upset them and they will vote with their feet. I had to catch one a couple of weeks ago because he needed treatment for lungworm, unfortunately his mate witnessed the whole hognapping episode and hasn’t been back since!

Nic

If hedgehogs are hibernating in a garage – always make sure that they can get in and out at any time. Even during hibernation they sometimes change nests.

And don’t ever, not for even a second, think about letting them have the car keys.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog