Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Do hedgehogs nest where they feed?

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Do hedgehogs nest where they feed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We set up a wooden hedgehog box in our garden a few weeks ago and last week a hedgehog started coming to feed there. A few nights ago he bought a friend with him too (we have a camera). Two days ago I opened up the box to put more food in and found the hedgehog asleep inside. Yesterday he had gone but today he was back fast asleep. I’m worried that I’m going to scare him away by changing the food when he’s inside, but I want to keep feeding him. I didn’t think he would sleep with his food but I’m new to this so have no idea! Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

Nic

Hi Helen784

Yes, they do sometimes sleep in feeding boxes. I always think of it being like they realised they were out a bit late so just rolled up in the best place to hand – i.e. the feed box! I have had one in one of my feed boxes for a couple of nights a few nights ago, but managed to squeeze the bowl out without disturbing him. He didn’t seem to mind and was back sleeping there again the next night. I suspect it’s the same hog who started building a hibernation nest in another feeding box nearby last night.

If you get the chance, if he vacates again, I would clean the box out, with boiling water (assuming it’s wooden) – they sometimes shed ticks which may produce eggs in the box – even when they have only made short stays.

But, if he starts building a substantial nest in there, I would leave him be and maybe try to leave some food elsewhere.

Thank you so much – that’s really helpful. I am so excited to have a hedgehog in the garden and was hoping I hadn’t done the wrong thing but that all sounds good! 😊

That’s great news Helen784! Clearly they love what you’ve made for them. Maybe you could look into making some houses they can use to sleep in? They clearly like your garden so I’m sure they would get used.

Thank you Kitty878 – I was thinking exactly that – I’ll make another house!

Hi Helen
    I don’t use feeding boxes, just covers for the food dishes I put out, but have often seen a (smaller) hedgehog doze off for 10 minutes or so when sitting eating on a dish of dry biscuits!
    Appears to then wake up and carry on eating, so perhaps a consequence of a full tummy?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog