Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Do hedgehogs snore?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Do hedgehogs snore?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We were clearing some overgrown areas of ghe garden and noticed a rather large sleeping hedgehog under a tree/shrub area. It seemed to be snoring but im now worried it could have a respiratory issue. I dont want to disturb it if its normal. Any advice please?

You need to get it looked over by your nearest carer

Hello Ineedahol ,
    It is completely normal for hedgehogs to snore they actually make loads of funny noises such as purring and things like that. You can type in hedgehog snoring on YouTube and compare it to one of the sounds in the video. If you are really worried in case it has some sort of problem I would ring up a wildlife sanctuary to ask if they have any advice on what to do and if you would need to bring it in.
    Hope we could help, Good luck – prickles preservation society 🙂

Nic

Hi Ineedahol

stef is a very experienced hedgehog Rehabilitator. If stef advises that you get the hedgehog checked over then that is what is in the best interest of the hedgehog.

Sometimes on a Forum it’s difficult to know who to listen to, but I have been involved with this Forum for many years and you come to learn who knows what they’re talking about. Of all the contributors to the Forum, it is stef’s advice that I most respect – over the years, many hedgehogs lives must have been saved as a result of it. I recommend that stef’s advice is followed.

Thanks Nic that’s kind.

Hogs can and do snore sometimes – however, if you’ve uncovered it and it’s still snoring there is most likely an issue as you will have woken it up. Usually when disturbed a hog will silence it’s noise – even sick hogs can stop wheezing briefly if they are scared, although a hog that is used to humans around may not. Hence the best advice is always to contact your local carer

For anyone reading this – it doesn’t hurt to have an animal checked out by a carer. They can just be returned to the wild if there is nothing wrong or they can be treated if there is.
    Most experienced carers can tell pretty much straight away if they are looking at an issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog