Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Do I clean out the hedgehog's nesting box?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Do I clean out the hedgehog's nesting box?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have a nesting box in the garden. Last year I put hay in it and I think a hedgehog has made a home inside – although I’ve never seen it there is a round tunnel through the hay and I’ve seen what looks like hedgehog poo in the garden.

So, should I clean out the box now, ahead of the winter, and put new hay in? Or just leave well alone?

Advice gratefully received.

Thank you, Sue

If you haven’t cleaned it since last year then I personally would jut to get rid of ticks etc. However, if there is a hedgehog in it then you need to leave it alone.
    So my advice is check. If it’s empty then clean and put fresh hay in and around it

I also have the same query. I have a hedgehog house which I think is being used. I’ve seen our hedgehog a couple of times, and presume it is sleeping in the box. I also have a “diner” – a plastic box for the hedgehog to go inside to eat. I put new hay in the house when I first put the house out – about 2 months ago. I’m not sure when to look inside as I don’t want to frighten the hedgehog. I too wonder whether I should replace the hay. If the hedgehog is sleeping in it during the daytime, when is it advisable to look inside. The house I have was from Ark and has lid over the whole house.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Chris

Nic

Hi Chris

I think Stef advised cleaning out the hog box to SueSB because it had not been cleaned out since the year before. She also said ‘… if there is a hedgehog in it then you need to leave it alone. ..’.
    It is now a few weeks later and even more hedgehogs would have begun their hibernation. My feeling is that now may be a bit too late and that it would not be advisable to interfere with the box unless you are absolutely certain that there is no hog in it. If you are not sure, I would leave it until the Spring. Maybe leave some nesting material nearby so that if it wants to, the hog could do it’s own ‘housework’. They do, apparently, sometimes change nests during hibernation time.

You might be interested to read:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/cleaning-out-boxes/

Although please bear in mind that ‘2) Is anyone home’ (how to find out) doesn’t really work at this time of year when the hogs may be hibernating and not come out of the box daily.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog