Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Do mum hedgehogs leave young at night?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Do mum hedgehogs leave young at night?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We’ve had 3 out of the last 4 years with successful May hoglets. Mums come to our lower patio to nest under the shed but never stay there the rest of the year.

This year nothing happened in May, but we did have a hog make a nest under the shed 5 weeks ago. I now have hogcam to monitor things, I was expecting the usual mum behaviour to occur a few days later but it didn’t happen… she came and went for days at a time, or vanishing from 9.30pm to 4.30am, so I assumed she had actually made the nest right at time of mating, very organised of her!

2 weeks ago she seemed to stay on the patio instead of going up to the garden and beyond each night. 1 week ago she only came out for 25 mins at 11pm one night, 1h15mins the next, 3 hours night after that, and last few nights she’s out and about on the patio and maybe elsewhere from 11.30pm to 4am.

Would she leave hoglets all night (day to a hog?) She’s getting very well fed by me with hog pellets and dog food so she needn’t spend so long away.
    It seems a bit odd but as I say, they never nest under the shed unless having babies so I’m assuming there is indeed a hoglet or 2 in there. I am not patient and I worry… though I guess I’ll find out in 3 weeks…

Sounds like she’s had babies.
    It’s normal for them to leave them once they are a bit older for hours so don’t worry

Hi,

I definitely remember in previous years the mum would go up to the garden after a while and of course later on again she’d have a little entourage, but it felt a bit early to be off after only 4 days. The camera is movement-triggered but definitely hasn’t caught all her comings and goings these last 5 weeks, so maybe she has snuck back under round the side of the shed for a bit too, hard to be sure.

At any rate I will continue to feed her if she continues to live there 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog