Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Encouraging hedgehogs – deterring rats

Home Forums Champions’ chat Encouraging hedgehogs – deterring rats

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi all!
    New on here. Sorry if this has been raised already but I did do a search first.

We have hedgehogs in the vicinity and a really good environment at the back of our workshop that could be even better I suspect. However the neighbourhood has had a rat problem and I have seen them using the ‘highways’ between the gardens quite recently.

It’s a general question but I wondered how I can further provide for the hogs about without encouraging the opportunistic rat population?

The council put down rat poison under my workshop twice. Other than this, I don’t use pesticides – I think the hogs have increased over the ten years I have been here and I hardly picked any slugs/snails off plants this year 😊.

Thank you in advance.

Manny

Nic

Hi Manny

Welcome to the Forum! Rats are one of the perrennial problems, unfortunately.

It sounds a bit worrying that the council put rat bait down under your workshop. I hope they put them in proper bait boxes and at a time when hoglets weren’t around.

Rats don’t tend to like cat food as much as some of the hedgehog foods, so you could try that, although you might encourage the neighbourhood cats instead. (I have found that if I ever have a rat around the cats seem to be mysteriously absent!) It’s easier to stop the cats getting at the food than rats, because you can put it in boxes with appropriately deterring entrances.

Other than that, keep a check around your garden for any rat bolt holes and fill them in. Sometimes you will get a particularly persistent rat who will keep digging them out again, but bricks, or something they can’t dig through might help.

You could also, only leave food out for the hedgehogs whilst you are around to watch. That way you can scare the rats away from the food. (rats are much more sensitive to movement than hogs are, so it’s easier than it sounds). This way also has the benefit that you can get to know your hog visitors better and observe some of their behaviour. Hogs soon get to know what time to turn up for food, if it’s only around at that time.

If you feed birds as well, you might find that what they drop is what’s initially attracting the rats. If that is the case, I can give you some other tips re. alternative ways of bird feeding.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog