Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Eye Injury or Infection

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Eye Injury or Infection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

My hedgehog, Pudding, developed a sore on his eye overnight, I gave him a bath and cleaned his cage (Which I do fairly regularly but I hadn’t planned on doing either in a few days) hoping it was just reacting to a bit of something in his eye. He was eating and drinking normally, running around, and acting normal, so I didn’t worry too much.

I checked on him the next day (today) and his eye “better” by that I mean “more normal”, his eye, rather than looking like a sore looked like his eye had rolled back in his head. He’s still acting normal, and blinking normally (I know this isn’t a big concern w/ eye related ailments) and you can see his eye. It sort of looked like a person does cross-eyed but only in one eye.

I’m not too concerned bc he is acting normal but I wanted some advice on the matter, as I am a first time hedgehog owner.

I sincerely hope you are talking about your pygmy hedgehog and not keeping a wild hog in captivity?
    All eye injuries should see a vet asap

I am talking about my African Pygmy Hedgehog. Thank you for the insight we are taking him in tomorrow, as we were unable to today.

Also can i take him in to a vet (not an exotic vet) to possibly see if it is serious or just an allergic reaction or big bite? And then go to an exotic vet if the vet is unsure or knows it’s serious. Or should I go straight to an exotic vet? There is not one in my area and I don’t wanna drive 2+ hours for nothing.

Normal vet should be fine – they will advise

Thank you for the advice! It was very helpful! We checked on Pudding before going to the vet and he was almost completely better. The vet told us it was an allergic reaction and that we didn’t need to see an exotic vet, and was able to prescribe a medication that we were able to order online.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog