Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Family of hedgehogs in the garden

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Family of hedgehogs in the garden

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Moved a broken down shed on sunday and underneath was a family of hedgehogs. An adult, a medium sized one and three babies all with full spines – not pink. We managed to get them into a box in the straw they were in and moved them to a site close by under a hedge and with a hedgehog house and by an old tank which had a cavity underneath. That was on sunday – they have since moved the straw from the box I think under the tank and there is lots of evidence of movement and eating and drinking the food and water I put there for them. I think it was a successful moving house and I look forward to following their progress.

Nic

Hi Cowsden Bank

Really not what you want to find when moving an old shed! Fingers crossed they do move nearby and all survive. You may be lucky that they are just old enough that Mother didn’t desert them.

I would be inclined not to put the food too close, in case it attracts other unwanted visitors near to a new nest site. But maybe move it gradually a bit further away, if that’s what you decide to do.

Good luck with them.

I have 3 hedgehogs in my garden since July mum, dad & baby. We used an old crate for a house to put food in & then I bought a hedgehog house as well & they are both being used. I put the water outside as they kept knocking it over? It is such a joy to see & hear them at night. Havent had them in my garden for
    at least 8 years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog