Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Feeding and sleeping

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Feeding and sleeping

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello
    I have acquired a hedgehog in my garden, so I am going to make him a new house from a big plastic box and tunnel. However in order to feed it I will need to lift the box everyday which might disturb its hibernation. So should I feed him in a separate box next to it? Or does it need to where it sleeps? Thank You Mrs Dodson

Nic

Hi mrsdodson

Yes, you will need a separate feeding place/box, ideally a bit of a distance away from the sleeping/hibernating hog house (otherwise it could attract predators to the nest box). A hibernating hog should not be disturbed. But whilst plastic is fine for feeding, wood is really better for a hog nesting box.

But if a hog is hibernating it won’t be eating. During hibernaton their metabolism slows right down and they survive from their fat reserves.

Some people leave a bit of food out all winter in case a hog is either not hibernating or comes out of hibernation. It’s very important, though that you leave a water source available all day every day, including winter.

If there is a hog still around this late, it’s possible that you have a hog who has decided not to hibernate. If so just keep offering food and water. It isn’t a problem as long as they can get enough food. But if one isn’t hibernating, it might welcome a nice place to sleep as well.

Still have the one hedgehog coming in for food, a nice size adult. Gradually getting later though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog