Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

feeding and slugs and cars

Home Forums Hedgehog tales feeding and slugs and cars

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I video my hedgehog ( think i have just the one) feeding each night – he eats half a tin of either cat or hedgehog wet food each night together with some dry cat/hedgehog food. I have noticed he/she completely ignores slugs at the entrance going into the hedgehog house to feed. Also if there are cats about is visits are less frequent . I have one of my videos on this sites Youtube channel

Nic

Hi Stedwomas

It’s usually the really big slugs which are attracted to hog food and the hogs do usually ignore them. But they will eat smaller slugs – which I understand are the ones that do most damage to plants.

Most hogs don’t mind cats and cats are sometimes even a bit wary of the hogs, so maybe you just have a hog which doesn’t like cats, or maybe it’s a coincidence. Or maybe the cat gets to the food first and there’s none left for the hogs. Not sure, but they normally aren’t too bothered by each other.

Hedgehogs are insectivores and prefer beetles and grubs to slugs. If a hog is well fed it won’t eat slugs at all (which is a good thing as slugs can carry rat lungworm that is a major issue if a hog contracts it from eating them).

Blackbirds and thrushes are best suited for removing slugs from your garden, so encourage them as well.

I discourage cats by physically chasing them off when seen throughout the day so that they become wary of coming to my garden in the first place.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog