Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Feeding box/chinchilla bath box

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Feeding box/chinchilla bath box

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I was looking for a box for the hedgehogs and came across a small animal box. Plastic with a round entrance hole. I put some straw in the box and sprinkled a few “spikes” pellets under the straw . I situated it in a quiet area and left a dish of water nearby. Last night it looked as though some of the straw had been pulled out. But this morning, the straw completely covers the entrance. I can only hope that a hog is inside sleeping. I set up a camera and retreated. Will be soooo disappointed if I am wrong. Does anybody know what the chances are please?

Nic

Hi Prosecco13

Hogs do sometimes decide to nest in feed boxes. I can see what you were trying to do by hiding the food underneath some straw, but it sounds as if it has just given someone the idea to use it for, at least, sleeping in.

It sounds as if you are quite happy for the box to be used as a nest, but if you ever want one just for a food box, I wouldn’t put any straw, etc. in. They will sometimes spend the day in food boxes anyway, but possibly more likely to if you give them the idea. One hog here made a quite elaborate nest on top of a partially full food bowl once, even though the floor was originally bare (for easy cleaning). I have also on many occasions found a hog asleep in a feed box (when I went to take the bowl out) with no bedding, but those ones have usually moved on in a day or two.

Don’t be tempted to peak into the nest, just in case it’s a female about to give birth. They can desert their babies if disturbed.

Good luck. Hope the hog stays around, but you might need another feeding box!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog