Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Feeding in a New Way

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Feeding in a New Way

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

This year has seen our most prolific with 4 hedgehogs feeding (caught on camera). Always, disagreement as to who is going to get into the feeding station. Feeding stations are great but I wonder if they cause a lot of arguments among the hogs, who are more used to individual foraging for food.
    As well as the feeding station I now scatter dried food in the hay outside the feeding station – this gives each one more space to forage & they seem much more contented. Has anyone else found this?

I have noticed that hedgehogs have no manners and I was concerned about a little chap last year getting squashed. He was exiting the feeding station as an extra large hog was on his way in. The big one just barged its way through. However, I would not be able to feed them outside the feeding station because of cats. Setting up a second feeding station might be an option.

I have had to start scattering food around the bowl as well as in the bowl. Three hedgehogs fighting over the food in the bowl but they are quite content to feed next to the cat!

Nic

You could use lots of smaller bowls instead of one large one, as well. It’s mostly only hoglets who really like to share bowls. Most hogs seem to like to have a bowl to themselves. So that might mean several feeding boxes!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog