Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Feeding in house advice please!

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Feeding in house advice please!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have 2 hedgehog houses one is stuffed with hay and leaves the other is about half full. I’m leaving a full bowl of food in each one every night and it’s all going (apart from the jelly…apparently they don’t like the jelly cat food variety) I know there are about 5 hedgehogs who come in the garden regularly. I also leave dry food outside the houses for them. I wondered when I should stop putting food in the houses as I dont want to disturb them if they start to hibernate. One house is so full it’s impossible to see if there is one in there.
    Thanks for reading and any advice is gratefully received.

Nic

Hi MaxChris

Yes, you should stop feeding the hogs in there if the houses are being used for nesting. It’s best to keep feeding areas and nesting areas separate anyway, because food may attract predators to a nesting site.

If the hogs have become accustomed to the food being there, I would move it only gradually away to a new place, so that they can find it easily. Perhaps a new box for feeding in!?

Hi Nic! Thanks for the reply. I have lots of cats who come into the garden as well so if I leave the food outside the house they will eat it! I’ll use the house that hasn’t as much bedding in for their food. The houses are right next door to each other so it should be easy for them to find it. I don’t really have room for a third house in the garden.
    Thanks again:-)

Nic

Hi MaxChris

Sounds like a good plan. Although hogs can be very perverse and decide to nest in food boxes. I would keep the feeding house completely clear of anything other than food and water. If there is anything resembling bedding in there it might give them ideas – although sometimes they don’t even need to be given ideas!

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog