Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Feeding station

Home Forums Champions’ chat Feeding station

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hi All, if you’re have problems with slugs then try struch around your precious plants. Sheeps wool also works but pound for pound is a lot more expensive.
    I have massive Dahlia beds and use struch and have no issues with slug damage
    Hedghogs carry internal parasites normally as they are in the diet they eat. Unless the hog becomes unwell it tolerates them without issue.

Nic

Hi berniel

It probably depends a bit on how wide the dishes are, although hogs are quite happy to stand in them if they need to. But the dishes I use are roughly 4 inches in diameter, flat on the bottom with about a one inch straight side. I use more of them depending on how many hogs are visiting. I imagine the hogs there have just had enough, if they are leaving some of the food. But hogs do quite often move dishes and tip them up. It’s really up to you, ease of cleaning, etc. whether you want to feed them on the ground or not. It’s probably more likely to get walked all over and scattered around, I would imagine.

Nic

Hi Stef,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is struch? I’m lucky that I have access to loads of sheeps wool (and conveniently black/brown wool, so it blends in well!), but only really use it for a few precious plants, mostly in containers.

Loads of dahlias, sounds lovely.

Hi Nic

It sounds as if you’re using the same bowls as me. I’m really appreciating all of this help with my learning curve!

I’m a bit concerned tonight. For the first time in must be at least two months, no sign of my spiky friends. I’ve been out every half-hour looking for them (the usual little black shape roaming over the grass), but zilch. Only other sign of life is a tatty black cat, but from what I’ve read a cat is really no threat. We do have a very occasional fox, but not until the small hours.

Perhaps they’re just having a party somewhere else!

Hi Stef, same question as Nic, what is struch please?. Berniel, if your hogs are have a rave up in the feeding station, everything will be everywhere! Although, I bought a double pot feeder for cats and a single one. I put water in the single one, biscuits in one of the double ones and spike semi moist in the other. Since then, none have been turned over. Even the smallest hog doesn’t turn it over. I got some heavy metal ones recently, (safe for eating out of) donated by a supermarket who didn’t know what they were! I was saving them till the new box is in use, or, when the pot ones crack with the frost. I use cardboard on the box floor as a bit of insulation, but frost can still crack pot. Best wishes.

Hi Annker

Panic is over. Bowls almost cleaned out by the time I checked the morning after. I think it’s probably as I suspected and they were having a meeting somewhere else!

Last night, for the first time, I observed a visitor actually having a drink from the water bowl. Perhaps because we’ve been having a lot of rain lately, they haven’t needed to avail themselves up till now.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog