Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Finding hoglets after the mother has been killed

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Finding hoglets after the mother has been killed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I think this is my first post here. But I had a very sad experience last week. I found a hedgehog in the middle of a street, that seemed to have been the victim of a traffic accident. As I live in the Netherlands, I called the animal ambulance. Unfortunately, the hedgehog died in the hands of the rescuers. They also found out she was lactating. After an hour of searching in the dark, they could not find the hoglets.
    I would like to know if anyone has experience with similar situations. Do you know how far from the nest a mother can go? Or how long hoglets can survive on their own (I assume this depends on their age)?

Thank you for your help!

Chloé

Nic

Hi Chloe

Welcome to the Forum.

So sad to hear about the hedgehog – that must have been a horrible experience for you. Sorry to hear the hedgehog didn’t survive despite yours and the rescuers efforts.

Sadly, Mothers of young hoglets must die, or be killed all too often – many, I suspect without us ever knowing about them. All of you did the right thing trying to find the youngsters, but sometimes theres just no way of knowing where they might be. I understand that sometimes young hoglets are found in similar circumstances and some may survive – although there is a fairly high mortality rate among young hoglets even if the Mother is alive.

Yes, it would depend on how old the hoglets are, how long Mother would leave them for and so how far away from them she might be and also how long they might survive without her. If they were close to being weaned I imagine there’s more chance they could survive.

The important thing is that there must be hedgehogs in your area, so maybe there might be some way that you can help any other hedgehogs. Here, for instance, we try to link our gardens by making hedgehog sized holes in boundary fences or walls, so that the hedgehogs can more easily move between gardens. That way they have less need to cross roads, which are so dangerous for them. There is some more information about that here:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

Many people here also put out water and food for the hedgehogs to supplement what they can find in the wild and/or try to encourage wildlife, including beetles and other insects, etc. which hedgehogs eat. Cat or dog food is fine to feed them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog