Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First hedgehog of 2019 to my garden

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First hedgehog of 2019 to my garden

• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Had my first hedgehog visitor of 2019 to my garden last night. Coincidentally I had just finished tidying up and putting some new feeders in place. I wonder if the hedgehogs were waiting for that 🙂 .

Put a clip up on YouTube here if you are interested, https://t.co/UzEfdDzvQk .

Great video. Haven’t seen any down here in Wareham yet.

That’s a lovely video. I’ve had some visitors too. They have left lots of presents for me 🙂

I’m still just feeding my wood mouse! Getting impatient!

I caught my first hedgehogs since 3rd January on camera last night (early hours of 28th February). There were two hogs, both large, and both eating the dry hedgehog food in my feeding station.
    I have 3 hedgehog houses in my garden and all 3 show signs of occupancy, but none appear to have been used for hibernation.

First sighting of the year tonight. 28th February. Brigg, North Lincolnshire.

Thanks all. At least one has been turning up each night since. Maybe two one night. I am in Nottingham by the way.

Good to hear others are seeing them again as well.

Hi Alan
    Just looked at your video. The clarity seems very good and I have posted a question today about best wildlife cameras. Can you tell me which camera you have as it looks very good. Thanks
    Alcuza

Alcuza

The camera I use is a Crenova wide angle trail cam. Certainly in the budget range. You can find it on amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V9HPAB2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi everyone, had a few laptop issues so on for first time in 2019. Have had a good number of visits over the last week or so and the one residing in my Aldi hoghouse is in and out on almost a daily basis. So far the ones i have seen look fit and healthy which is good to see.

Just seen my first hedgehog feeding in my garden. 8.10pm
    Thought it might be too early but pleased to see it. I live in Cambridgeshire

Like AlanB, my first sighting was on the 27th February and I too had just started leaving the feeder out again. I’ve seen him twice and he is massive. The second time was at 6am in the morning. I went out to cover the food so the poor blackbirds don’t eat it all and as I lifted the upturned box I keep it in, he was still in there to my surprise. I quickly put the basket back down but then wondered if he’d eaten so much he couldn’t get out so I took it off again. After a few seconds he toddled off down the garden. Hope I haven’t frightened him off.

Message to Alcuza about cameras. I was using a Bushnell but I’ve just got a Ring video doorbell and the picture is so good I’m thinking of getting a stand alone Ring camera for the back to record my hedgies. You can get solar, battery or ethernet and they just stick up anywhere!

Great video Alan, Had my first visitors that I seen last night, 11th march. 2 of them, 🙂

Had my first visitor here in Worcestershire last night, there’s also been a wood mouse bobbing about around the food bowl for a few nights but we’re not fussed about that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog