Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First hedgehog sighting 2017

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First hedgehog sighting 2017

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Finally, last evening we have seen a hedgehog on our street (near Cherry Hinton park, Cambridge) after more than 13months of ‘silence’. S/he was of medium size and very active. Eight years ago we used to have 3 hedgehog ‘families” in our gardens! The hogitats we have installed for them (2 in the back garden; 1 in the front garden) seem to have been empty for some time. We’ve rebuilt our wooden fence and secured several hedgehog ‘highways’ too. Thank you for the tip on dry food that might not appeal to cats. And thank you for this wonderful community.
    A.

Nic

Hi Anna

Really pleased for you that a hedgehog has been back in your street again. Hopefully, if there is one, there will be more around somewhere. Sounds like you have done a good job giving them plenty of access points. Here’s hoping this is the start of hog families in your garden again.

Remember to leave out plenty of water – they do seem to drink a lot and, although it has rained here now, they welcomed the water when we had the recent dry spell.

Hi Anna,
    Happy to hear you have your hedgie visiting again! I know how it feels, – abandoned! – I have been feeding a resident 3-legged hog I have been calling Hop-a-long (must choose better name) since Xmas, every single night s/he was out to feet, rain or frost (unusual). Then finally spring arrived and 3-4 other hogs started appearing (family?) so I felt Hop-a-long had made it safely through the winter. However after about a week of all 4/5 visiting, suddenly I saw no hogs at all! Each day passing with no hogs, esp missing Hop-a-long of course, I got concerned/sad/confused.
    So I read on these pages about food tips incl dog food, however such food just attracts the local cats or fox. But, the moist version of the hedgehog food did the trick – hogs straight back that night! So I try to use a mixture of the dry and moist food and some mealworms. I’ve also set up a 2nd feeding place, on a hedgehog highway crossroads, and there is no food left there in the morning, but could be other animals, I must try to set up a camera.
    Hop-a-long lives in one of the igloo style homes in our garden, when the weather was particularly cold and he was still coming out every night I did buy a Royal Hedgehog home and placed fairly near his original home – but no, still prefers his igloo, perhaps a mum hog can have the royal one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog