Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First hedgehog sightings May/June 2017

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First hedgehog sightings May/June 2017

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We first saw the hedgehog Friday 19th May at about 5 pm exploring the paved area at the back of the house.

Again on Monday 22nd May at about the same time, he went up the path beside the house and squeezed under the fence (a very small space) fairly easily into our front garden. Didn’t stay for long.

Again on Thurs 1st June at about 8 pm exploring the front garden. I would like improve this area for hedgehogs. Off to a good start as there are plenty of slugs and snails.

Nic

Hi Dennny

Good to hear about the hogs there. It might not be a bad idea to make the space under the fence a bit bigger, if you can, to allow for growing hogs and, hopefully, pregnant hogs!

There are lots of tips about how to make your garden more welcoming for hedgehogs on this site under ‘Help Hedgehogs’. But basically, you want to encourage lots of beetles, etc., so wood piles, bug hotels, etc. A few years ago when I was taking up some turf, I left some of it on the side of the path for a few days, on the way to the compost heap, and when I came to move it, was amazed at how many beetles had already moved in. So a beetle bank, made out of unwanted turf can be useful. You could even make it into some sort of artistic shape!

It is always good to have some water for the hedgehogs, especially if it is dry, so, if you don’t have a pond, they would appreciate a large plant saucer full of water.

Otherwise, lots of places for them to hide and to search for worms, etc.

Good luck, I hope you get lots more hogs visiting. Happy hog watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog