Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

first hog of 2018

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings first hog of 2018

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Presents on your lawn is a very good sign, fingers crossed you’ll see them soon.

Hi all,
    well I checked on hibernating hog and it’s gone. Hopefully not too far away. As it had vacated the premises I took the opportunity to clean out the house so it’s nice and clean for nesting and hoglets a bit later in the year.
    Still only seen one hog on night cam and always around 0300 so no chance of seeing it in real life unless I get up suoer early. No word from carer as to when I will get the 6 over winterers back but I’m hoping it’s soon to give my solo a bit of companionship.

Here’s our first visitor this year, later than last year and didn’t reappear last night but hopefully they’ll find their way here again soon.

Since my last post on 28th March I’ve had the regular two coming every night. Last night I had three! There is still a hedgehog under the fern and it is alive. When I checked this morning there was no disturbance around the nest. However, when I checked late afternoon I could see that some of the old leaves it was covered over with, HAD been disturbed – and half of the hedgehog was exposed. I gently covered him/her back up as best I could. Unsure if this is just a hedgehog sleeping in the day now??? Tried to do a vigil earlier on when it was getting dusk but it got too cold for me so I gave up but as the weather is set to improve I will try again another night. Have also bought a hog house – nothing grand but we have put some dried leaves inside and re-stacked the rotting log pile over it. Tonight we put a tiny bit of food near the entrance so the hogs might just come across it and go in and investigate. It still looks like a rotting log pile and underneath you wouldn’t know that there is a nice dry little hog house waiting for someone to move in. As an aside, some Bluetits have moved into our new bird box and are busy nest building and I’ve seen some Wrens taking nest building materials into an old ivy. Oh how I love wildlife!!!!

Hi all,
    I have been prowling the garden every night and I have definitely got 2 hogs on the hunt for food ( which is vanishing at a rapid rate now, I think they’re more awake). I checked one of the hog houses (by my back door) and there’s a little hog in the cardboard box in there. I’m hooing that it’s still alive and has now decided to make a nest for hoglet time. I don’t want to disturb it too much as I would like it to stay. Hoping it hasn’t managed to survive the winter and then died, that wouldnt be good. Still no news from the carer as to when I will get the 6 back from her so will be giving her a ring later in the week. When I do get them back I hope they stick around. They might eat me out of house and home but it’s worth it!

My 3 have all appeared one by one for the first time over the last month. Last few nights has been the first time I have spotted all 3 together. 2 of them making helluva noise last night! So pleased / proud they made it through a harsh winter. Fed them pretty well last Autumn mind you.

Not one of them used the hedgehog house I put out (my first year) but I think that although it looked inviting it was not in the quietest part of the garden and not fully covered. Have moved it now to the bottom of the garden, tucked deep inside a huge bush. Very sheltered / quiet /cosy. Caught them on camera many times last year popping in and out of the house, but none of them obviously fancied it as their winter residency. However main thing is they all made it!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog