Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First Post! Saw THREE Hedgehogs at My Feeder Tonight!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First Post! Saw THREE Hedgehogs at My Feeder Tonight!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi all, this is my first post here. Bought myself a wildlife cam to keep me from going nuts during lockdown and I’ve had a regular customer for a few weeks now. But last night, one hedgehog showed up and went inside and while he was feeding, another one came along and looked a bit huffy to find he’d been beaten to it.

But tonight, one came along and kept going to the entrance, then walking away. Then a second showed up and did the same! I was just wondering if there was something wrong with the food when a THIRD one came out from inside! Clearly the other two didn’t want to take him on. So chuffed!

Well done on seeing your first pictures of hogs! I get three coming most nights and had to put out a second feeding station when the food traffic jam was becoming boisterous!

Nic

Hi JudeD

Welcome to the Forum!

Our very own hog videos are a brilliant antidote to the lockdown! Glad to hear you have had some activity – makes it even more interesting if there are more than one hog, so that we can also see any interactions between them.

Yes, you might need to get another feeding box, if you have several hogs visiting. Although they might try to adjust their visiting times. But also, some hogs don’t seem to want to go into feeding boxes at all, so you might want to try an outside area as well. You can use a piece of sheeting (see through, if possible, so you can see the hogs more easily) balanced on bricks or earth filled flower pots, which is up to a point, a cat deterrant and the hogs seem to see this as still eating outside.

Hope you continue to enjoy their visits. Good luck and happy hog watching!

Oh, it’s not my first sighting, just my first sighting of three at the same time. At least one of them, I’m sure, has been before because it is quite a distinctive colour, and I’m sure that one has gone into the feeder previously. But I had a plastic box at first and the one hedgehog I saw previously didn’t seem to trust that, so I built one out of old bricks which were lying nearby with a lid made of bits of a big smashed flower pot because I thought they’d be more familiar with that….and it seemed to work. It’s not very big though, so there’s probably only room for one inside. But even after the first one left, one of the others returned and sniffed the entrance and then wouldn’t go in.

I’m trying again tonight with the old plastic storage box one as well. See if they trust it more now they know there are tasty treats inside.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog