Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First sighting in Nottinghamshire

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First sighting in Nottinghamshire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dee

So happy to have caught sight of one hog on 8th March, so pleased I took the rubbish out late night. There it was, caught in my torch light, on the garden path. I had suspected a hoggy visitor few days prior.
    My first sighting last year was also about the 8th March.
    Hoping that I get more than one, or is that being greedy.
    Well Spring is trying to spring, so that means more frequent filling up of water bowls and cat proofing feeding station ha ha.
    The thought of happy hog watching…yes.
    Hers’s to all our efforts to help them.

I’m also in Notts, first saw mine on Feb25th and it was the same one that I’d seen up to Dec23rd so it didn’t have a very long hibernation! now another has started turning up but they usually time their visits so they don’t overlap.

Nic

Hi Dee

Great news you have a hog back! None here yet, but my outside light packed up and it’s too windy to change the bulb – so relying on the camera – which, as we know, can’t always be relied on! But I’m hoping for a hog to return any day now.

Yes, hoping for a good hog year for all the hogs.
    Happy hog watching!

Dee

Hi Bassman,
    Just thought I’d say hello.
    I think some hog has been back for food, but the weather has not been suitable for me to fully sort my make shift feeding station, so hard to tell.
    As I don’t have camera, I keep fit by getting out of my chair and peeking round the back door with dimmed torch. Such fun, and it keeps one quiet and unobtrusive, ha ha.
    I saw one of your earlier posts about hedgehog marking, a very nasty and unnecessary practice. They have beautiful markings of their own, and has been discussed they are wild creatures and not our pets. Like you I am delighted to be graced by their presence.
    Take care.

Dee

Hi Nic,
    It’s good to be back on the forum again, just like everyone else, I guess, it’s been a very trying 12months. So pleased I have a small garden with small greenhouse, growing stuff kept me sane…though I had a fun crop of frogs few months back. Figure they came from pond in neighbouring garden. Even had a hog investigating my greenhouse crop in the Autumn. Bet the hog has not come back to give me a hand cleaning the greenhouse ready for more veggie growing ha ha.
    So here’s to weather that lets us get our lights and feeding stations sorted, and mild nights to sit out quietly in the hopes of observing these fabulous creatures.
    Best wishes.

Hi, I also live in Notts and had my first hedgehog siting for 4years on 8th March. Setting up a proper feeding station we had two visitors 16th March. As I have mentioned on another post sadly the proper dry kitten food has not been eaten now for 5nights. I am so sad and hope they are still safe somewhere. However we will maintain their nightly food + water regime, and setting up a hedgehog home in the hope of their return. Fingers crossed.

Mine sometimes go off the dry biscuit type food as well. I have found that the cat chewy sticks go down very well (tried a few different brands, they all seem much the same) so maybe worth trying these as an alternative?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog