Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First stage soft releasing a hoglet

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog First stage soft releasing a hoglet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi, just here for additional advice please! Helping out with my local rescue and have been hand nursing an orphaned hoglet for the last 4 weeks (almost). Just started weaning and was wondering what type of accommodation is recommended for a hoglet to go in initially, within the garden? Obviously I have many hog hotels scattered about the garden and several feeding stations but I was wondering about some kind of enclosed pen but on grass to start with? At what weight do they get soft released to begin to experience a more normal environment? And what do other rescues use??? Jules

An enclosed pen surrounding a feeding station and hoggie hotel would be great! I think 300g is the normal weight for a release, because it’s how much a hoglet should weigh at 6 weeks.

P. S. It’s a lovely thing that you’re doing ^^

I have a soft release but have never used it for hoglets as I haven’t really got the facilities for them. A word of warning though as a few of my adult soft release hogs have got ticks and I found a recent occupant with a lot of tiny ticks on his underside. I’m going to research products I can use outside to get rid of ticks in the environment. Good luck with the hoglet!

A lot of released hogs pick up a lot of ticks and fleas suddenly and this can lead to a quick downward spiral, so it’s always a good idea to release where they can be monitored.
    It is not possible and potentially harmful to other wildlife to try to eradicate ticks in an area as they are carried on other animals as well as hogs
    Regular proper cleaning of hog houses can help kill any eggs that are dropped

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog