Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

First visitor! What next?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First visitor! What next?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

SER

Good evening,
    I put a hedgehog feeding station in my garden last week. Dry food, wet food and a water bowl outside. Over the weekend the dry food went and I thought it might be squirrels as hay still tidy…but the following night…lots of mess and some hedgehog poo.
    I was very excited.
    This evening I lifted the lid to top up food and the hedgehog was inside! I topped up food and shut the lid. It might have just been bad timing!
    It doesn’t look like it has dragged leaves in to make a nest …I’m hoping it won’t actually hibernate in there..there is a hedgehog house elsewhere in the garden and lots of leave piles around.
    Should I keep adding food (maybe in the mornings) and run the risk of putting him off a hibernation spot?
    I can’t leave food out as cats and foxes eat it and this station has tunnel to prevent this.
    Many thanks! I’m so pleased to see it and it looks pretty big!

Nic

Hi SER

The hog may just have turned up early for the food. Usually at this time of year, if they are planning on using somewhere, even for an over-day stay, they usually take in, at least some, ‘bedding’.

I would be inclined to check to see if the hog is there about half to an hour before dark, if possible and put the food in then. Then if you disturb a hog, it isn’t too long before it would be out and about anyway. So I wouldn’t put it out in the morning.

Having said that, hogs do sometimes decide to make their nests in feeding boxes – one did here last year and I had to get another box to put the food in! I had a cat problem too. Hogs very much have minds of their own and don’t always do what we would like them to do, but if you find one is using a box to nest in, it’s best not to disturb it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog