Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Fish oil in cat biscuits

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Fish oil in cat biscuits

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We have a mother hog nesting under our shed. Haven’t seen hoglets yet but can’t be long now, hear them rustling sometimes. I just bought a bag of Iams cat biscuits that are chicken based but noticed right at the end of the ingredients it says fish oils.

Are these ok to feed? I saw this which says oils are ok, fish meal is not, but wanted a further opinion… https://africanpygmyhedgehogclub.co.uk/care/feeding

Thanks
    Susan

Nic

Hi Susan

Glad to hear about the hog nesting under your shed and hopefully hoglets on the way soon!

I would ignore the advice on that site and stick to advice about feeding wild hedgehogs. Some of the advice there would be questionable for wild hogs. Advice was being circulated at one time that fish was not good for hogs, until someone challenged that and questioned where that advice had originated. I think that things such as chicken are meant to be easier to digest, but as I understand it, fish oil in a chicken product doesn’t do any harm. It’s probably hard to avoid, as well!

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Thanks, had our first sighting of 2 hoglets last night, and one poked its nose out just now. Very exciting!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog