Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Flea treatment

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Flea treatment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi all

Is there anything I can do for what I believe is a heavily flea infested hog? I have films from the trail camera each night and my most regular visitor does not stop scratching. It’s quite sad to see as s/he literally walks a couple of steps, has a good scratch and repeats constantly.

If there is a powder available that I could give him/her a sprinkle with it would be amazing but I don’t know where to start, or even if I should interfere? I hope that buying feeding and watering I can keep his/her strength up but it must drive him/her bonkers.

Hi Julie,

It could be fleas – but in fact hogs have a bigger problem with mites and mange / ringworm which they can scratch themselves to a frenzy over (I’m have a scratch just thinking about it myself).
    The best thing to try and do is contact a local rescue and discuss some options for getting him / her looked at. You would need to get hold of the hog (but be very sure to plan it and wear good resistant gloves, as ringworm especially will spread easily and you could transfer it to other pets as well if you have any).
    Hog fleas are specific to hogs and aren’t generally a problem if a hog does have them, but infestations of fleas require diagnosing and treating.
    good luck – hope you find out the problem and get it dealt with for this little chap / chapess.

Hi Julie-
    Did you do anything about this?
    I have 2 at the moment that are also scratching a lot.

Please ignore the post from Allentate. Most flea sprays and treatments are toxic to hedgehogs, if you have a hog with a large amount of fleas it may have an underlying illness and needs to be checked out by a carer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog