Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Flies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Hello,

My name is Ian and I live in Belgium. We have recently adopted a blind female hedgehog from a local rescue center. To my surprise she is often out during the day, mainly eating. I have built a wooden “house” for her and the “restaurant” is in another box just beside the house.
    The problem I’m having is that flies and attracted to the food and I’ve just seen what look like eggs on the cat pâté I left for her. I threw it away but I’m wondering how to prevent flies getting to the food or in the house.
    I was wondering about those coloured plastic strips you see hanging in doorways. I could easily cut them to length and hang them in front of the entrances. I don’t think the hedgehog (Peanut) would mind as she often seems to leave dried leaves at the entrance of the house anyway (is this usual behaviour for hedgehogs?)
    I would love to hear the suggestions or thoughts of more experienced people.
    Thank you!

Nic

Hi Ian

If Peanut can’t tell whether it’s day or night, she is likely to be, in part, influenced by when the food is available. That could especially be the case if she has recently been at a rescue centre where she may have been fed during the day. If I were you, I would try to acclimatise her to feeding at night. You may need to do that gradually.

If you were feeding at night, especially if inside a feeding box, you will be less likely to attract flies to the food unless there was some left over into daylight. But you could adjust that so that there is no, or minimal food left over which could be disposed of. But make sure the area is kept clean of spilt food, hog poos, etc.

I would be inclined not to use hanging things over the doorway, although that is not to say that Peanut would necessarily mind that – it might be a matter of trial and error. But, when I had a blind hog visiting here, I always tried not to make any significant changes which might confuse her. But once you are feeding at night it shouldn’t be necesary for that sort of deterrant.

The little hog here, did well, by the way, although she is no longer with us. She used to trot around seemingly like any other hedgehog. She didn’t live in my garden, but made her way here almost every night. Hedgehogs don’t have very good eyesight, in general, and rely heavily on their sense of smell and their hearing.

Regarding the leaves. Peanut may have been planning some interior decorations in the hog house and dropped them one the way in. Leaves are favourite materials for hogs to build nests in the wild.

I hope you manage to get Peanut into a more hedgehog suitable regime. Good luck and happy hog watching!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog