Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Fluke

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We have recently had sightings of hedgehogs out in the garden during the day. The first two, whilst appearing quite small, were lively and eating and drinking ok. I took them to our local vets to be checked over and they were found to be fine after having had ticks removed so were released back into the garden. However a few days later a neighbour brought round a similarly sized hedgehog that was wobbly and I took it to the vets straightaway. Sadly it died and the vet confirmed it was fluke. My questions are: 1) Is there anything we can do as a hedgehog-friendly neighbourhood to prevent fluke being present in our gardens to avoid the condition taking hold in the first place? 2) It may be that the third creature was actually one of the two declared fit the previous week – could the vet have treated for potential fluke as a preventative measure? Advice appreciated.

There’s nothing you can do to prevent them picking it up. However it is easily treated if identified.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog