Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Follow up from my previous post about emerging from hibernation

Home Forums Champions’ chat Follow up from my previous post about emerging from hibernation

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Phoned wildlife rescue today to see how little hog is doing, as well as fleas and ticks and loss of spines it also has lungworm which they are treating it for. They said it will probably be with them for a further two or three weeks but when its well they will bring it back to the garden.

Also, have managed to get a good look on the camera at the one with the stripe across its bottom, the spines are there but they are a different colour and this shows up as white on the camera, it is feeding and drinking well as is the other one who is in residence which I believe is one of its hoglets from last year, just waiting for the other hoglet to come back from the wildlife rescue to complete the trio.

I know they will probably part ways soon but it is nice to think that for now they are all still going to be together for a while longer.

If the female is pregnant when is she likely to have her hoglets, she is taking nesting material into the house again but unfortunately I have been unable to give it a good clean out because she is in residence all day, so am leaving it to her as I am sure she knows best. There is a lovely clean house next door to the one she is in but she hasn’t taken a fancy to it yet!

Nic

Hi jackitb

Good news the little hog is doing well.

The peak time for hoglets to be produced is June and July, so still fairly early. Although it’s not impossible. If there are both males and females around early they will breed early. But, they do tend to take a small amount of bedding in for a day ‘nest’ so it may be that. Might have to wait and see! Fingers crossed for some hoglets at some stage!

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog