Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Food for weight gain

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Food for weight gain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone.

We found our Autumn Juvenile about out a week ago. He’s weighing really small was 260. I emailed the British Hedgehog Preservation Society and they sent me details of local carers. I tried contacting and have found my nearest one to be so busy they haven’t been able to respond. I got another lady on the phone and she asked was the hedgehog feeding well? They are and she said it was likely that I could overwinter him myself if there were no issues. I’m happy to do so but I’m a bit worried that it doesn’t seem to be putting weight on despite looking well and eating loads, he’s eating catfood and has access to a lovely warm bed and freshwater.

Is there something else I should be feeding him or
    Should I be worried? I’m not precious about being the one that keeps him and lets him free I just want to make sure he makes it through the winter. Any advice about average weekly weight gain that I should expect would be brilliant thank you.

Hi, I’m not sure from your message if you’ve taken it into captivity or if it’s still roaming.
    In the wild they never put on weight as quickly as in captivity. If it’s behaviour is totally normal and it’s only coming out at night to feed and eating lots and by that I mean much more than you’d expect for a hog that size, then it’s probably fine. However if it’s worrying you then I suggest you bring it into captivity and find a carer to at least look at it.
    If you have brought it into captivity then the poo sample is vital to get done as stress of captivity can make internal parasites worse
    If you can get hold of a poo sample from it then you can usually get a carer to look at it, or at worst send to Vale Wildlife hospital to look at – you will get next day results.
    Regarding food, any cat food is fine. Small dog or puppy food is better, but really it doesn’t matter either are fine
    Note that the RSPCA and your local vet may know of other carers that are not on the BHPS list

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog