Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Football netting!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Football netting!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone.
    I am needing help and advice on how to approach my local college, My garden backs onto the college sports field, the field is used by hogs as they come that through the highway I created, my concern is the amount of litter left by students, crisp packets, etc also the football nets pose a threat. The school does have someone come round to pick up litter every so often but there is always lots about.
    Can anyone give me advice on the best way to let them know that hogs frequent the field and we need to protect them. I am not the most confident person just to go walking into school and talk to people to educate them, I wish I was!
    I could email, any ideas on the wording?

Nic

Hi Kb70

I would check out the free downloadable resources in My Hedgehog Street https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/my-hedgehog-street/free-downloadable-resources/
    and see if there is anything you can use.

Maybe you could try to make contact with a Biology or Science teacher and that might be a useful contact route. I don’t really know, but maybe you could ask for an appointment with someone. I somehow suspect that talking to someone might have more effect than trying to explain it all in an email. An email is so much easier to ignore. But you could email to ask if it’s possible to speak to someone (Science Teacher … ) about hedgehogs. Or is there a School Secretary that you could speak to initially to get an introduction to a Science Teacher (or do they call them Lecturers in Colleges!)

Alternatively do you know any parents who could make an introduction?

They might not know about the hogs and be really pleased they are there – you never know your luck! But a one to one conversation with someone sounds to me an easier way to start.

I would be inclined to try to get them interested in the hedgehogs, how lucky you all are that they are there, etc. before tackling the litter issue (and of course the netting) i.e. that is part of helping to look after the hedgehogs and their welfare to make sure the nets are lifted up and the rubbish removed. Explain the dangers of litter to hogs. Maybe they could start a Hedgehog Club.

Someone else may have some better ideas, but good luck, it sounds a really worthwhile thing to try.

Thank you some really great ideas. I will print off some of the sheets. I will look at their website too to see who is best to contact. Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog