Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Found a lodger under conifer cuttings

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Found a lodger under conifer cuttings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Have been starting to clear garden after neglecting it too long
    Started chopping down conifer last year that is just too big for my garden and never got round to taking branches to rubbish tip,
    Started shifting them last week and came across what I thought was a bundle of rotting leaves and jumped out of my skin when a big round curled up hedgehog was in the middle of the pile
    I covered him back up with everything I had cleared so will it be okay ???

Nic

Hi 80smaniac

Well done spotting the hog and covering it up again. If you are worried about a hog at any time, the best thing to do is contact your local hog carer/rehabilitator – you can get contact details by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801. You explain things to them more fully, answer any questions, etc.

I would keep an eye out in case the hog comes out. You might also like to leave some food out. If you use dried cat/kitten food it keeps a bit longer if it doesn’t get eaten (as well as not freezing). It’s a good idea to leave water available all day every day, including winter in case a thirsty hog passes by. If you can put some of the water in a sheltered area it might not freeze so easily.

Hogs are known to emerge during the course of hibernation time and even move nests. If there is one hog around there may be others.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog