Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Fox dilemma

Home Forums Champions’ chat Fox dilemma

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

For the last three months I have had a fox visiting every night and eating the hedgehog food. At first, the hedgehog didn’t seem to mind too much and I have footage of them sharing the plate. However, over the last few weeks I have seen less and less of them and am concerned that they are now wary of the fox. I had no footage of hedgehogs for the last 2 weeks until last night when I caught one on camera. I decided to stop putting food out in an attempt to deter the fox. It hasn’t worked so far and my dilemma is that I am worried that it might decide that a hedgehog would make a good meal now that its regular food source has disappeared. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you deal with it

Hi,

I have a fox too so had to build something to make sure she or any other fox can’t eat the food for the hedgehog. I built an L shaped ‘run’ made of bricks (two high is enough) and covered with a couple of roof tiles. The fox can’t get in but the hedgehog can, and I put the food plate and the water plate in there – it works but presumes you can get some bricks and roof tiles (or something similar) and have the room for such a thing.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your reply eht1eht. Could I ask what sort of size your run is – i.e how many bricks?

It’s the smallest I could make it with enough room for 5″ plates (one food, one water) and manoeuvring – twenty one bricks in all, twenty for the run, two roof tiles over the top and the last brick on the top to keep it all strong and secure. Hope this helps.
    eht

Thank you again for the details, I may give it a try. Unfortunately I haven’t seen a hedgehog since 30 July but the fox is still coming despite the fact that I am not leaving food out – ever the optimist! I’m still a bit concerned that it might attack a hedgehog if it is hungry enough.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog