Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Frantic visitors

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Frantic visitors

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

All 3 hogs back tonight . 2 males 1 female. 2 sessions of pushing between the males and rolling, though the smaller one doing the shoving. Males seem to be frantically running round searching for the female I guess, though all spending time at separate feeders eating and drinking. The female doesn’t seem to be even entertaining the males now. Chuffing and then seems to scare the males off. Could this be a sign she is pregnant or just not interested?

Nic

Hi char2020

Glad to hear you have had lots of hog activity.

It may be that the female is young and the males aren’t interested. Although I had one female here, who seemed to do her best to attract the attention of the males, but they weren’t interested. Not really sure why. She was an adult female. I sometimes think it’s pretty amazing any of them end up with hoglets at all what with that and all the time they spend circling!

But where the hogs come in the pecking order doesn’t seem to always be related to size. Sometimes quite large male hogs will always roll up – maybe they just think it’s easier that way!

Is this pushing and shoving a male dominance thing during mating season then?

We captured our regular big hoggy visitor being a right bully!

https://youtu.be/l0tm7RjNfd0

https://youtu.be/_7MYq0HzVnQ

No it’s not. He’s just pushing the other one off the food. You’d do well to have a couple of feeding stations apart from each other

Interesting to hear that size does not always mean the dominant male, seems that at the moment they visit at different times but quite captivating to watch how they interract. Interesting videos StripeHoggy, can’t help but think of nails down a blackboard for the second video – looked like they were on ice. I have several feeding stations which has helped when several visit at the same time as they tend to scurry off each to their own bowl / into a station.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog