Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Fresh droppings spotted today

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Fresh droppings spotted today

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Fresh droppings spotted today… I wonder if they are coming out of hibernation.
    We usually feed between 3 and 6 hogs each evening.,… some years they continue all winter but other years they dont.. I always have water out but will start putting a little food out. I dont have a camera.. I usually just watch… its lovely when they come back.
    Wish we had more folk on the forum…
    Take care all.

Yes, hedgehogs can start to come out of hibernation now. My own experience was that at least one would come out in the end of January. But in the main March and April time is a safer bet.
    Like you are doing leave a little food out each night and water. Once you know if it is being eaten or not, can regulate the amount. If all gone in the morning, put out a little extra.

No signs here (north of Inverness) yet but I put a little food out each night just in case. My sister in southern Scotland has seen a return of very hungry hogs (maybe up to 3 different ones) captured on her trailcam in the cat-proof feeder. They seem to have hibernated for only a few weeks and emerged again with hearty appetites in mid January. So far my feeder has only attracted slugs!

Hello, first time poster, 1 year hoggy lover and feeder 🙂
    Having spotted a hoggy in our garden for the first time during late COVID lockdown, I decided to start feeding them early last year. Put out a cat proof feeding station and eventually bought a trailcam to check the action. So excited to see a hoggy, sometimes 2, coming to the box nearly every night. Nothing happening where I am (south Aberdeenshire) since late October. Hoping they wake from hibernation and make their way back to us. Our garden doesn’t have the coverage for them to hibernate but pretty sure they’ll be in some of the gardens behind us. Amazing little creatures.

Nic

Hi PFig

Welcome to the Forum! It’s lovely to hear about the hogs which have visited there. You might have to wait until March or later for hiberntors to start returning, although some hogs venture out earlier (although it’s possible those have been non-hibernators which have begun to venture further afield.). But hopefully some hogs make their way back to your garden (especially as they knew it was a good place to visit) and it won’t be too much longer now

Good luck and here’s hoping for a good 2024 hog year with lots of hoglets! Keep us posted.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog