Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Frozen food & water.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Frozen food & water.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

A hog has taken up residence in our hedgehog house. It has been caught on our wildlife cam coming and going throughout the night taking in nesting material. I’ve been putting out water and meaty cat food which he/she has been eating along with the snails but now we are having a really cold spell the food & water has frozen up. He was still trying to munch on the meat a couple of nights ago but Couldn’t drink any water. Do I just leave it until the weather improves or is there something I should be doing?
    He was out again last night. I was hoping he would hunker down until the weather improves but he didn’t seem bothered by it on camera. Any advice gratefully received as it’s the first time our hog house has been used.

Hi Kerry

Do not stop feeding and giving water. It is obviously relying on your help here.
    Hedgehogs don’t just go into hibernation they have to prepare their bodies for it and yours obviously isn’t
    You could try putting out lukewarm ( not hot ) water in the evening it won’t freeze so quickly. Also check it before going to bed You could also try putting a thin layer of straw over the water/food as that will insulate it a bit while it’s so cold, but the hog will still be able to get at it
    Good luck

Thanks. Didn’t realise about lukewarm water. Will try that. I have straw so will place it in a sheltered site and cover it. The hog has been seen all hours of the night. Until 2.40am last night when it toddled back to its bed. The night before was nesting ripping up grass and using the few leaves that were around. I’d already put some straw inside earlier in the year.
    Will keep putting food & water out as he’s been seen every night for the last 4/5 but could have been around before then and I’ve not noticed.
    Thanks for the assistance.

You can feed Tesco or Sainsbury chicken kitten biscuits as long as you make sure there’s water available, they don’t freeze like wet food does & are a good source of food. We’re still having very cold nights here & frozen bird water but the hedgehog food & water I put out is under cover, sheltered from wind & up off the ground a little which has mostly kept it from freezing throughout winter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog