Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Fussy eater?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Fussy eater?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I haven’t actually spotted any hogs in the garden for the second year running now, but I know they’re definitely visiting. I leave water and cat biscuits out every night in the feeding box, but this year especially they are rarely touched, although the bowl gets shoved around. Have also often put down jellied poultry cat food with the same result. I know that whatever we give them is merely supplementary to their natural diet, but the hogs used to love these foods, judging by the clean bowls every morning, so I’m a bit puzzled as to why things have changed. Any ideas, please?

Nic

Hi Dizzydog

There seem to be some hogs who scorn eating the food that’s offered and prefer what they find for themselves. I have one who visits at the moment. It forages on the lawn and unfortunately under where the bird feeder is during the day – although I don’t think much is spilt from that, it has a very large tray. But I put a bowl of kitten biscuits down right where it normally forages and it went very close but completely ignored it. A few feet away there is more food which other hogs enjoy, but not that one. So maybe the hogs you have there are similarly self sufficient.

But if the bowls were previously very clean, are you sure cats weren’t eating it because they tend to lick the bowls clean whereas hogs will often leave a little bit.

Hi Nic.
    Our feeding box is like a maze inside, and it would take a seriously double-jointed cat to get to the food, so I think it was previously being eaten by the hogs. We have another box set up as a nesting box, and the hogs have been using it on and off this year for sleeping in, so at least they’re still around and, as you say, probably just preferring to fend for themselves when it comes to eating.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog