Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Going away on holiday for 2 weeks advice needed!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Going away on holiday for 2 weeks advice needed!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have at least 3 hedgehogs which feed in the garden every night and I recently bought a hedgehog house and I am pretty certain there is one living there! We leave out food and water every night and we are going away on holiday for 2 weeks soon, has anyone got any advice?

Nic

Hi Jenny1970

Your best bet is to ask friends, neighbours or relatives to leave some food and water out.

However, what we feed the hedgehogs should really only be supplementary. So that they should be alright without it for a short while. If you can, I would try to leave water out in a large but shallow container, somewhere in the shade so that it doesn’t evaporate so quickly. They can usually find wild food, but not always water.

In the long term what we all need to do is to make our gardens better habitats for hedgehogs to enable them to become less reliant on the artificial food we are offering them. (and of course increase the size of their potential habitat by encouraging hedgehog highways). The natural food that hedgehogs can find for themselves is the best thing for them.

Thank you – I shall do that. For the 2nd week my neighbour can put food out and so it will only be a week without which hopefully should be ok. I have a large water bowl as well.

I have put a couple of gaps in the fence which is where they come in!

Thank you

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog