Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Habits changed to daytime activity

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Habits changed to daytime activity

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We live in Northeast Spain and have been monitoring Hedgehogs for about 2 years. Currently we have about 7 visiting us. Most have been absent for the past while, probably due to hibernation. About 3-4 weeks ago, we had only a couple of juveniles visiting, and then two new very small youngsters showed up. For the last 3 weeks, the juvi and 2 young ones continue to visit our feed station, as seen on the wildlife camera. However, for the past week or so, one of the babies has been very active in the daytime. Every day, several times per day, we observe him. He appears healty, but did have some loose stool, so we provided some pureed pumpkin and some mealworms. He now seems in perfect operating order but still visits daily.
    Any comments would be appreciated regarding why this particular one seems to enjoy the daylight wandering, and why he and the other ones are not going into hibernation? Maybe the young ones don’t have enough fat stored to survive proper hibernation. Any comments/advise would be appdreciated. Thanks very much.

Nic

Hi bellbar

It’s lovely to hear from a hedgehog champion in Spain!

It’s not so easy with hog behaviour in another country with which I’m not familiar. I’m guessing you do have the same species there – erinaceus europaeus? I believe there may be a cross-over with a related type of hedgehog, but from what I can make out that’s in the south of the country. But even if they are erinaceus europaeus they may have slightly different habits than the UK hedgehogs.

That said, you seem to be implying that hibernation at this time of year is normal there, as it is here in the UK. But some hedgehogs here are choosing not to hibernate – and that especially seems to relate to youngsters. So it would not be surprising if the same thing is happening there. So as long as they have access to food and water I would not be too worried about them not hibernating. (Although if any of them are very small they may need extra help). It may be partly because they are smaller (here, with the weather warming – and some potential other reasons – some hogs are having litters later in the year than they used to) but also there may be suitable food around later in the year. You don’t mention what you offer in your feeding station, but the food that is recommended by hedgehog organisations here for supplemantary feeding is cat or dog food or meaty hedgehog food.

If it is normal (as it is here) for hedgehogs to be nocturnal, I would be concerned about the young hedgehog out during the day. Hedgehogs being wild animals are expert at appearing to be perfectly normal until they really can’t help it – by which time it may be difficult to help them. But being out during daylight is usually a sure sign that something is amiss. I don’t know whether you have wildlife hospitals or hedgehog rehabilitators there who look after sick or injured hedgehogs (as well as overwintering very underwight hedgehogs which are too small to hibernate successfully), but if you do, I would contact one of them and take their advice. (Sooner rather than later would be good). If they do exist, they will know more about local conditions and the habits of hedgehogs there. Let us know how you get on.

I hope all the hedgehogs there do well and those that hibernate make it through successfully.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

I’d just like to follow up on Nic’s sensible comments. Definitely not mealworms and pureed pumpkin seeds please. All of the research shows water and dried kitten food or meaty cat (or dog) food. Best wishes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog