Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Has mum moved in?

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Has mum moved in?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Over the last few weeks, I’ve noticed that unlike other hogs who have been coming alone and if they meet, they do all the huffing and puffing at each other, but I have two coming and foraging together, one large, one smaller and the obvious answer was mum and child? The unusual thing is they have stayed like that way past the time I thought youngsters would, then this week the youngster decided to move into the new HH house, I was so happy! It’s a good size and had bedding in already, but he spent many hours adding to it from the pile outside and settled in for the night. When I checked the cameras the next day, I was surprised to see big mama hog arrived just before dawn and promptly walked straight in! 🙂 and there she’s stayed since! They come out at night, they go back in the morning. Jnr has taken more bedding in and does all the work, mum has just basically turned up at his new bachelor pad haha! Is it likely they are related? and will they hibernate together now? When I moved into this house 2 years ago I prayed for a HH, now I have two! 🙂

Nic

Hi Karolee

Really pleased to hear that you have two hedgehogs there! Great that they approved of your new hog house.

You may be right that it is mother and hoglet, but we do sometimes hear on the Forum about hogs sharing hog houses and I had two sharing in the run up to hibernation a couple of years back. Like with you, one did all the work and the other just moved in too. Only thing was that they were two big males! Even more surprising when there wasn’t a huge amount of space in there – it had previously been used as a feeding box.

They came out every night – sometimes one went back in first and sometimes the other – until eventually only one was coming out. I’m not sure whether they, or both of them, actually started hibernating in there – cameras are not reliable enough to always catch a hog entering or exiting – but they certainly didn’t spend the whole winter in there. But, hogs often change hibernation nests at some stage during hibernation time.

It may be that we are hearing more about this sort of thing because of a shortage of potential nesting sites. It isn’t ideal, as I imagine in a hog box, one hog could potentially trap another hog in, if the space is limited – if, for instance, the one nearest the entrance was in hibernation and the other wanted to get out. In a natural nest the hog behind could dig itself out, but not so easy through i.e. wood. So you might like to try to get another hog house, if possible, so they have a choice. Although, having said that, the ones here had a potential alternative and didn’t (at least initially) use it.

Another possibility is that now so many of us have cameras we are just noticing this sort of thing and that occasional sharing may have been happening previously without us knowing about it. Good hog hibernation nests are very intricate and take a lot of work for the hogs, so maybe some hogs just decide to take advantage of another hogs good work. Females, especially, having just raised hoglets – which takes a huge amount of energy for them – may welcome a ready made hog nest. But that is all supposition. We may never know. It may remain one of the many hedgehog mysteries!

Let us know how they get on. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog