Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Have I got a nesting hedgehog?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Have I got a nesting hedgehog?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello!

Over the weekend I discovered a hedgehog under my BBQ. I left it overnight and by morning half the weeds in my garden had been pulled up and put under it. The BBQ is easily accessible by cats, so I bought a hedgehog house and they moved in on Saturday night! It’s been there ever since and I’ve been putting food out for it, which it’s demolishing. The hedghehog has also filled the hoghouse with more plants and sticks. Is this normal hedgehog behaviour or could it be a nesting female hedgehog?

Any advice much appreciated!

Hi Claire

At this time of year and by this behaviour almost certainly a nesting female. Gestation is roughly 32 day’s. Mum will then start taking the babies out foraging around 3-4 weeks old.
    Please make sure you’re not feeding mealworms and that the food dishes aren’t too close to the hog house so as not to attract other animals to it. Also leave out lots of water
    There is lots of basic info on this website for you under the help section.
    Good luck and what fun to have babies in your garden

Thank you Stef. How exciting. I’ve read up quite a bit and have just been feeding her hedgehog food and water. That’s handy to know about putting them away from the house, I’ll move them tonight. Thanks!

Don’t move it too far away initially but in stages so she doesn’t think you’ve abandoned her

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog