Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog “After Dark Behaviour” log

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog “After Dark Behaviour” log

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

This is my first post and I’m sure that this has been asked elsewhere on the forum but, without a “Search” facility that I can find, I don’t know exactly where to seek an answer.

We have CCTV cameras and they are a great way of spotting numbers of hedgehogs (and other wildlife and domestic animals) in both front and back gardens from dusk until dawn.

We put calciworms out front and back (I know…it should be a balanced diet but at least they are getting fed something), with fresh water, every evening and I check each day to see how many visitors we’ve had. Unfortunately I don’t know how best to record the numbers as they come and go throughout the night.

Should I record the maximum number I see at the same time; the total number who visit and display particular behaviours; the accumulated total for both front and back garden throughout each night; etc?

I’m afraid that I’ve been unable to find an answer so any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Nic

Hi BazP

Welcome to the Forum!

You can learn to recognise individual hogs by their natural markings. It needs a bit of close watching, but not as hard as it sounds. I wrote some tips a while back:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/identifying-hedgehogs-from-their-natural-markings/

But then you will know how many are visiting. As I understand it, ideally, you would record the total number of individual hogs that visited in either front or back. So not how many visits there are – some hogs will probably visit multiple times.

It’s really better to feed cat/dog/hog food or cat/kitten biscuits and only use calci-worms as a garnish, otherwise it’s encouraging the hogs to eat just them and they miss out on other nutrients. Cat/kitten biscuits are quite a convenient way to feed them and easily available.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Nic

Hi BazP

Further to the above. I’m guessing you were talking about the Living with mammals survey. If so, I understand that it’s being run by the PTES, so if you need any further information they would be the place to contact.

There’s a link to them at the top of this page – next to the BHPS link (underneath the windowbox in the illustration).

Nic

Hi BazP

Although it makes more sense that you were talking about the Animals after Dark Survey!! Sorry I got the wrong one before. Just found out there are now some FAQs about that here:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/hadquestions/

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog