Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog and Badgers

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehog and Badgers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi fellow supporters of these wonderful wild animals x
    I live in a small town, lots of countryside about plus we live on a quiet steep hill with fields at the back garden. I noticed that we were getting x2 visiting hedgehogs last year and so i built a wee home for them to use – no residency unfortunately but they came on and off to nibble under the bird table area. When a wildlife rescue centre shouted out for help in October 2020, as they had been getting in a lot of hedgehogs brought in from all over, that had since been fattened up but needed to be released back into the wild we helped immediately and took on x2 after successful vetting process. We made another wee house for the other one and igloo sections for the food and water – regularly checked throughout winter. Well…they are about and mating games have been witnessed on the wildlife camera on a few occasions and…co exsisting with x2 Sows (adult female badgers) x1 Male cub…blew me away. they ALL visit everynight at different times, sometimes at the same time. They never bother each other at all well only unless they are too close to the female hedgehog whilst she is foraging at same place but she is feisty and one movement from her and they move away. So folks…they can and have been living alongside each other here in our garden for the last i’d say month and more. We were super surprised at the x2 adult Badgers and x2 Hedgehogs eating alongside each other on the wildlife camera, watched playback with trepadation as we havent had a Badger here for the last 2yrs, but all was good and still is. As long as there is plenty food rescources about then nature will take care of itself, no pesticide rule here or my neighbours so we and the other neighbours are making sure the hedgeway highways are all go. Happy wildlife days – they were here first! xx

Nic

We’ve already discussed, elsewhere about badgers being the main natural predator of hedgehogs, so not to be trusted around hedgehogs. Badgers are lovely animals as well, but most people have to content themselves with either badgers or hedgehogs, but not both.

Greetings fellow hog lovers. I keep my garden fairly wild and noticed some hedgehogs living under some corrugated iron sheets that had to be removed. So I invested in 5 sturdy wooden and concrete houses for them, and I keep them well stocked with hay. There are 2 specially designed feeding stations for them with dishes of water everywhere. I feed the foxes too, so they’re not bothering the hogs. However, I believe there is a badger who has been visiting at night because of a regularly overturned heavy bird-feeder dome; and then one morning I was alarmed to notice that the lid from one of the wooden huts had been lifted off and most of the hay turfed out. I now put bricks on top of the hut lids and this has prevented any further incidents, thank goodness.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog