Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog Asleep In Feeder

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog Asleep In Feeder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have been feeding a hedgehog for the last month or so, we never actually saw it coming up however I have just checked the feeding station (2pm) and there is a hedgehog in there.
    It has pulled the newspaper up and is half under it and looks like it is asleep.
    Is it ok?
    I’ve never known them to sleep in the feeding stations?
    It’s not a problem as I can buy another one if it wants to nest in there, but just wondering if it’s ok as the food dish is still in there and it just looks asleep?

Contact your nearest carer for advice as this isn’t normal

Nic

It could be o.k. I have had hogs here bed down in feed boxes for the day a few times. Some just stayed one or two days (and took in a minimal amount of ‘bedding’) and then moved on to spend the day elsewhere, but one built an elaborate nest on top of a bowl of food. I managed to get the bowl out whilst the hog wasn’t there the next day, but the next night it continued building the nest. I had to get a new feed box because the hog didn’t hibernate, despite the nest, and continued to visit all winter. But with the short stay ones, on each occasion they have just come out, as normal when it was dark and continued on their way. As I recall, they have all been males.

The hedgehog came out when it was dark and seemed ok.
    We have bought another box, so it can build a nest or hibernate in there.
    This morning both boxes were empty, hopefully it will start sleeping in the new box soon.

We occasionally have had hogs sleeping in the feeding stations. Sometimes they can be really
    Messy feeders and have moved the feed container in front of the entrance/exit and then trap themselves. So they just go to sleep where they are. We have a nest box next door so we lift them out carefully and put them in that. Most of the time they don’t even wake. On another occasion one just tucked up all the news paper and then fell asleep, we that one as well and was perfectly fine. They are just a bit daft sometimes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog